the rock is

The Rock is a causal contemporary church that values authenticity. We meet at West Acres Cinema at 10 am each Sunday. This is the Personal blog of Pastor Scott J Kruse.

Monday, March 31, 2014

Deeper Rock John 14:1-4 Feeling clipped? You've been pruned!

Deeper Rock John 15:1-4 Feeling clipped? You’ve been pruned!

In John chapter 15 we find Jesus sitting at the last supper with his disciples. He continues to teach them about what it is to be a Christian and how to change the world.

John 15:1 - 4  “I am the true grapevine, and my father is the gardener. He cuts off every branch of mine that doesn't produce fruit, and he prunes the branches that do bear fruit so they will produce even more. You have already been pruned and purified by the message I have given you. Remain in me, and I will remain in you. For a branch cannot produce fruit if it is severed from the vine, and you cannot be fruitful unless you remain in me.” 

In this verse we find that God has two responsibilities. First, he cuts off branches that do not produce. Next he prunes the branches that remain. The factor that determines whether you get cut or prune is whether or not the branch bears fruit. 

Speaking to his disciples, Jesus reassures them that they had been pruned and purified. Now, the key to being fruitful is to remain in Jesus.

Oh, how I want to be qualified for his pruning. Pruning can be uncomfortable but it is a whole lot better than getting cut off. When he prunes he purifies and that process hurts. My job is to remain in him. First I have to do what he says. If I don’t do what he says it ends there. Jesus said, “If you love me, you will obey my commands.” So if I have areas of my life that are in disobedience to him, I am in danger of being caught off by the father. 

Next I need to be where he is. Jesus said “where two or more are gathered with me there I am in the mists of them”. If you want to remain in Jesus you have to spend time with other Christians. Can you be a Christian and not go to church? Yes I think you can, but you will never be the Christian God intended it to be. 

Finally we have to love what he loves. And what is the thing that Jesus loves more than anything else? It’s people. If you love people like Jesus loved people you will serve people like Jesus search people. That makes that he said this he watched the disciple’s feet. And eventually would lay down his life completely for them. That is what it is to love like Jesus loves. If you love people like Jesus loves people it will keep your priorities straight. If you love people like Jesus loves people it'll keep your theology straight.

 Thank you so much for taking the time to read this.  I want to invite you to come to the rock, and be all that God created you to be. May the Lord richly bless you, and I hope to see you in church on Sunday.


Pastor Scott J Kruse