the rock is

The Rock is a causal contemporary church that values authenticity. We meet at West Acres Cinema at 10 am each Sunday. This is the Personal blog of Pastor Scott J Kruse.

Thursday, January 31, 2013

Apologize to Sodom




"If God doesn't judge America he is going to have to apologize to Sodom and Gomorrah."

I have heard this statement many times in many contexts.  I find the statement to be irresponsible and inflammatory. Whether it was the intention or not, it is taken to mean that it is as a result of sexual sin God destroyed those two cities and that the current acceptence of homsexualtiy  in America is going to bring the wrath of God.

Every time there is a natural disaster I hear some major "Christian leader" pointing at people's sexuality as the cause.

If you have not already done so please take a look at my post about where I stand on the issue. I believe that homosexuality is sin but am very humble about it and don't claim to have all the answers. I also believe that many evangelical Christians have acted in a very non-Christlike way in relating to the LGBT community.

Here is why I think this statement is wrong.

Gen 18:32 God promises not to judge Sodom if 10 righteous people can be found. While in Church this last Sunday at the Rock I was amazed at the beautiful pure hearted Christians I have the privilege of doing life with. Just in our little group there are indeed more than 10 who are righteous through the blood of Jesus Christ.

Not only do we have more people who fear God, but the level of depravity that was socially acceptable was far more extreme in Sodom.

Gen 19:5
5 They shouted to Lot, "Where are the men who came to spend the night with you? Bring them out to us so we can have sex with them!"
Tyndale House Publishers. (2007). Holy Bible: New Living Translation (3rd ed.) (Ge 19:5).

Has it reached that level where you live? How afraid must Lot have been to do what he did next. I hope I would have that kind of courage.

Gen 19:7-8
 8 Look, I have two virgin daughters. Let me bring them out to you, and you can do with them as you wish. But please, leave these men alone, for they are my guests and are under my protection."
Tyndale House Publishers. (2007). Holy Bible: New Living Translation (3rd ed.) (Ge 19:7--8).

Nope, I daresay that where there is certainly horrible things happening, murder and rape is not socially accepted in our culture yet.

That being the case, is it any surprise that people living in a gay relationship are offended?  I have an ugly word for you that I think is true. When "Christians" (I use quotations because I don't think Christ would ever act this way or make these claims) That word is bigot, when you take out of context scripture to attempted to prove your stance and look down on a community of people I think it is well earned.

We have earned their offense, it truly angers me that I have to share a reputation with those who have expressed their faith in  such a bigoted, hateful and un-Christlike way.

Every time I interact with someone who is either part of the LGBT community, or is a friend of someone in that lifestyle I have to overcome that reputation and work twice as hard to show them I care and accept them as they are for who they are.

Now some of you are freaking out, "if you love them you are condoning what they are doing." Ok lets follow your logic, are you perfect? No? Ok do you still sin?. Jesus loves us in our sin and brings us out of it. If you came to faith as an adult, were you convinced to stop all of your sin the first time you came to Church? If so you are a major minority.

People typically change slowly and God is the one who does it.

May the Lord richly bless you and I hope to see you in Church on Sunday.

www.RockChurchND.com